We love to see our residents and associates share their favorite recipes.
Thelma's Banana Pudding
- Sliced 4 to 5 bananas
- 1/3 cup of Flour (All Purpose)
- 1 box of Vanilla Wafers
- 2 cups of Sugar (Granulated)
- 2 cups of “half and half” (whole milk and can sweetened condensed milk)
- 6 large eggs ( separate the yolk from the egg white)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon of lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Make the custard first by mixing flour, sugar and salt. Then separate your eggs, beat the egg yolks, and combine with the milk in a separate bowl. Mix the egg yolk and milk mixture into the flour, sugar and salt. Be sure to keep the egg whites for the meringue topping.
- Place mixture in a saucepan over low to medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens. This is where you stir in your vanilla and lemon extract.
- Once the mixture has thickened to a custard texture, set aside to start your layering.
- In a large glass pan or baking bowl, place a layer of wafers on the bottom, then a layer of bananas on top of the wafer, and then pour a layer of custard (pudding) on top of the bananas. Repeat these steps making layers, until all ingredients are gone.
- Meringue Topping: Beat your egg whites that are now at room temp with a mixer. Mixer needs to be on high in order for egg whites to start to foam, but do not over beat. Slowly add in your cream of tartar, 1/2 cup of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Continue to beat to a smooth texture and peaks form.
- Pour topping over banana pudding and place in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.