Our Residents' Recipes
Our menus frequently include a resident’s favorite recipe. Residents and their special guests eat “family style”, enjoying heartwarming, home-style cooking. Scroll down to view some of our mouth-watering recipes!
Nelson's Ackee & Saltfish
- Rinse salt cod under cold water until salt is washed away. Transfer to medium bowl and cover with fresh water, soak for an hour and then refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, transfer to small saucepan with fresh water. Bring to a boil over medium height for about 40 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain and set to the side.
- In a 12 inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, scotch bonnet and garlic, and cook until soft for about 5 minutes.
- Add fish and heat through for about 5 minutes. Add tomato, scallion and thyme, stir to combine and cook until vegetables are tender for about 5 minutes.
- Add ackee, stir gently to incorporate, taking care not to over mix, which can cause the ackee to become mushy. Add and cook until ackee is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Season to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook penne pasta according to package instructions. Add salt and olive oil to water. Once done boiling drain, then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and sit to the side.
- Make meat sauce, add wine, crushed tomato, bay leaves, spices and a pinch of sugar.
- Prepare the bechamel.
- Assemble the Pastisio. Top the cooked pasta with meat sauce, top meat sauce with bechamel, smooth with spatula covering evenly.
- Bake the Pastisio at 350 degrees for 1 hour until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes. Cut into square pieces and serve. Enjoy!
Penne Meatball Surprise
- 1 box of penne noodles, cook as directed on box
- 1 pound of ground sirloin mixed with breadcrumbs, eggs, basil, salt, pepper, and minced garlic
- Roll the meat into balls and brown them in Mazola oil.
- The sauce for the meatballs requires sautéed garlic, 2 cans of tomato paste, fill them with water then pour into pan, and fresh seasonings from her father’s garden.
- Once meat and sauce is done take the sauce and pour over the meat then cook for an hour in the oven.
- Take the meat and sauce pour over the penne noodles on a plate then get a fork and enjoy!
Arlene’s Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 1/2 cups wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Put all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook overnight. Serves 4-6 people